AOTEA / GREAT BARRIER ROADSIDE COLLECTIONS
Roadside waste collection services for rubbish and recycling are available to those properties that pay a waste charge as part of their rates, or to those who have pre-purchased official Auckland Council rubbish bags.
Some properties are not entitled to any council waste services because no waste charge is currently paid. If you are interested in finding out if your property is eligible for council waste services – roadside rubbish and recycling, and on-property inorganic collection services (which will incur waste charges) - you can contact council on 09 4290 258.
Roadside rubbish collection
- Use either official council rubbish bags or a 120-litre rubbish bin for the weekly roadside rubbish collection service.
- Place out on collection day, before 8am.
- You can buy official council rubbish bags from the Aotea / Great Barrier Service Centre from Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm. They are closed from midday 23 December 2022 to 8 January 2023 inclusive.
- 40-litre bags cost $4.00
- 60-litre bags cost $5.30
- 60-litre council rubbish bags may also be available for purchase from these outlets. Prices may vary:
- Stonewall Store - 82 Blackwell Drive, Tryphena
- Port Fitzroy General Store - 2070 Aotea Road, Port Fitzroy
- Claris Store - 129 Hector Sanderson Road, Claris
Roadside recycling collection
- Use the yellow 60-litre recycling crates, if available at your accommodation, or purchase 45-litre recycling bags for participating stores, to sort your plastic, glass, aluminium, and tins.
- Flatten all paper and cardboard, then bundle securely, and place next to the recycling crates on the roadside on collection day.
- A total of 120 litres (two recycling crates' worth) of mixed recyclables (plastic, metal, and glass) can be placed out each week, along with the equivalent (two recycling crates' worth) in paper and cardboard.
- Recycling will be collected each week, along with either the rubbish bag or rubbish bin.
- Place the recycling crates out on the roadside on collection day, before 8am.
- You can buy official council recycling bags from the Aotea / Great Barrier Service Centre from Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm. They are closed from midday 23 December 2022 to 8 January 2023 inclusive.
45-litre bags cost $3.50
- 45-litre council recycling bags may also be available for purchase from these outlets. Prices may vary:
Port Fitzroy General Store - 2070 Aotea Road, Port Fitzroy
Claris Store - 129 Hector Sanderson Road, Claris
*If you do not live on a serviced road, use your nearest consolidation point. You can drop off your bag/bin to this point, but you need to collect your bin again at the end of the collection day.
Please refer to aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/collectionday for up-to-date collection information, including delays due to public holidays.
Auckland Council recycling bags are available to purchase from the Aotea / Great Barrier Service Centre, as well as some stores around the island.
The bags can be filled with empty and rinsed glass, metal cans and plastics 1, 2, and 5, then placed out for weekly roadside collections by 8am on your next collection day.
Clean and dry paper and cardboard should be placed in a separate recycling bag to avoid it getting wet.